Thursday, June 2, 2011

Officially Moved In!!!





We are officially moved into our new Austin apartment! It has been a whirlwind weekend/week. On Friday we had our LAST day of school, which was emotional but exciting. On Saturday morning we were at school for teacher check-out, clean-up, etc. By 10:30 I watched the school fade away in my rearview mirror and was off to pick up the Penske moving truck. Edwin didn't go with me because he had a phone interview at 11:30 with the KIPP Austin principal. I wasn't kidding about the whirlwind. Saturday afternoon we had a ton of help to load up the truck. Edwin's dad had flown in from Houston, Ted and Leigh came, and Lydie was there too. Many hands do indeed make light work. After loading up my stuff into the truck, Edwin and his dad headed to Weslaco to load Edwin's stuff into the truck. I stayed behind at my apartment to finish cleaning and later to go out to dinner for Lydie's birthday.

By 7 am on Sunday, after delicious breakfast tacos, we were on the road. Edwin's dad drove the truck (the original plan was for me to drive it as the truck was rented in my name, but for some reason general consensus was that I was not the best candidate), and Edwin and I drove our cars. We arrived in Austin by 1:30, and by 4:00 we were totally moved in! Edwin's cousin Uber, his mom and his sister Keren came to help us unload, which was awesome. We went to dinner at Chuy's (a great Austin tex-mex restaurant), and they hit the road back to Houston.

On Sunday night Edwin got a call from KIPP asking if he could interview on Wednesday AND Thursday for a 7th grade math position. Busy busy!! Monday and Tuesday were spent unpacking, decorating, and preparing a math lesson. Edwin's interview went really well and he will find out the outcome on Sunday!!

We love our apartment! We lucked out and got a 1st floor unit with a wooded view. I think I had forgotten what trees look like!! We currently have the screen doors open (to our big balcony) and can feel the breeze. It's awesome. I have been to Target about 5 times already, and Tuesday we went to IKEA where Edwin suffered a minor toe injury. Not to worry, he has recovered. Unfortunately I cannot find my camera cord. I will keep looking and post pics ASAP.

Til then...


UPDATE: I found the bag with the camera cord!!!! Enjoy pics from the move. It's not letting me format the pics, so they are of Edwin's dad, Ted and Leigh, and Chedwo. The other pic is of the infamous Jose (aka terror who won over my heart but is still a terror. This is exactly how I will remember him.) Apartment pics to come in the next post.

1 comment:

  1. marycrockerbarnesJun 3, 2011, 7:06:00 PM

    Ow ow owwww! We're back in business with our internet. Love the pictures of moving day and am looking forward to pictures of your new place!! Happy days are here. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete