Thursday, June 30, 2011

Crafts!


I really like to do arts & crafts projects. I've tried my hand at many things in recent years. Purse making took far too long to become a real hobby. My fabric covered magnet board was never completed due to technical difficulties (I couldn't find the right adhesive for the fabric). The point is- I get ideas and want to do them right now. I get the supplies, am all gung-ho.... and then something goes wrong. Namely, I don't have the patience to see the projects through.

Recently I think I've gotten better at choosing projects that fit my ideal time frame. The Placemat pillows took no more than 10 minutes each to complete. PERFECT!!!! Well, I have another success story to report. Back story: Soon after Edwin and I moved into our apartment, I bought chalkboard paint. Another prime example of a big idea that petered out. I wanted to make a big chalkboard to put over our kitchen table where we could write quotes, the menu, etc. I did a test run on a piece of wood, and it turned okay. A month later, I still haven't done the real deal, and our wall remains empty. Well, yesterday I saw a great idea on a craft blog to paint wine bottles with chalkboard paint. I thought, what a great idea!! And I ACTUALLY DID IT! Project complete. We want to use them to mark the table numbers at the wedding.

What do you think? Would you be happy to sit down at a table marked with one of these beauties? To set a visual, there would be a hoj-poj of vases and candles (in mason jars?) as centerpieces.

Next project: curtains!!!!!!! I found a tutorial for No-Sew curtains here on Young House Love (one of my favorite blogs) and thought, "What a great idea". Edwin and I have been wanting to put curtains up in the bedroom, but hadn't found any we both liked during our last IKEA (or Target) trip. After seeing an ad yesterday for a $3.99 tupperware set at IKEA, we decided to go again. Unfortunately, IKEA didn't have fabric (or curtains) that we both liked. So we headed across the street to JoAnn fabrics where we found this! The color is lighter/brighter in person- kind of a robins egg blue/light turquoise. The fabric is in the wash right now, and after that it is game on!!! Wish me luck! This project may go over my typical arts-and-crafts attention span, but they are going to get finished and they are going to be beautiful!!!!! Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. How many wine bottles do you have laying around??? Alchies!

    They look nice though! Very crafty of you!

    Taller Bro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I like the bottles and the curtain material. When you were little, you dabbled in things...a year of dance, a summer of horse back riding, 8 years of basketball(hmmm...that was a little more than dabbling and you had a sweet little hook shot layup). Anyway, it must feel wonderful to have time to be dabbling again. Enjoy it because mid August, reality will kick in again. Can't wait to have you home!!! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the wine bottle chalk idea!! very cute! Can't wait to see the curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are hilarious and I love those! Super cute.

    ReplyDelete