Thursday, June 23, 2011

Easy DIY Pillows

This weekend, while my mom and Andrea were visiting, we happened to stop by Target. We were shopping for kitchen towels, among other things, and happened to see some super cute placemats. Andrea mentioned a DIY project she had seen, and Edwin and I decided to tackle it! Making these pillows brought me back to my childhood when my brothers and I would make pillows with Grandma G in her sewing room. Great memories :)

We started with these 2 placemats from Target. They need to be double sided placemats (not sure if there is a better word for that?) so that you can stuff them.
I used a seam ripper to create a small hole in the placemat. Then I stuffed it with pillow filling from Michael's. These two steps took me less than 10 minutes. Once the pillow was fluffy enough for me, I hand stitched it shut. This was definitely the most time consuming step. If you have a sewing machine this project is easy-peasy!
Edwin helped out with the second pillow!
Here are the finished products! Each placemat cost $3.99, the filling cost $4.99 at Michael's (and I didn't use all of it), the sewing kit cost $2.99 and the seam ripper cost $1.99. Making each pillow about $7.00 if my math is correct! This was so easy, fun and cheap! Thanks Andrea for the idea!

2 comments:

  1. The pillows look awesome guys! I'm going to have to make some now! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Owowowww! Lovely, very nice. This was much easier than making purses, eh?? Love mom

    ReplyDelete