Thursday, May 26, 2011

Endings and Beginnings


WE MADE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tomorrow is the last day of school. To think of everything Edwin and I have been through the past two years- 35 kids in a room, no classroom, Kindergarten and all of its challenges, teaching in my second language, ALC injury and recovery, moving grade levels, debating whether or not to return for a second year, bronchitis, Bell's Palsy, being in the Valley- it is such a huge feat to have finished our 2-year commitment.

Today two of Edwin's lowest students said to him, "Sir, thank you for never giving up on us." Isn't that so great?! While Edwin may continue teaching, and I will never teach again, I think we both impacted our students and were certainly impacted by them. Even little Jose, who steals from my cart and has refused to walk in line all year (he RUNS away to the next destination and pays absolutely no attention to directions), has found his way into my heart in the past few weeks.

Today we had an all-staff meeting after school. They gave Edwin and I a card signed by everyone, and we had cake! (See pic above) It was really sweet. We have built some great relationships with coworkers and I know we will miss them. I'm also going to miss having Edwin as a coworker. It has been SO wonderful to see him every single day at school. When either of us is having a bad day, it helps so much to see the other person's smiling face :).

We are so excited for the next chapter in our lives. On Saturday we are loading up a U-Haul with the help of Edwin's dad, and on Sunday morning we will drive to Austin. Edwin's mom, cousin and little sister are coming to Austin to help us unload and unpack, which will be a big help! Next week will be filled with unpacking, trips to IKEA and settling in. Many more blog posts to come about our new apartment!!!

It has been an eventful two years. If someone had told me at my college graduation that I would teach Spanish to little kids, would be engaged by the end of my 2 years in TFA, and would CHOOSE to stay in Texas after those 2 years, I probably would have laughed. Now I am so grateful for the way things worked out. I remember debating whether or not to rank the Rio Grande Valley as one of my top choices for TFA placement. I initially decided not to. A few days later I went back and changed it, thinking, "What the heck." I think that this was all part of God's plan for me. And who knows what will be next!!


4 comments:

  1. Wow! You packed a lot into this Blog. Nice summeary of the last two years. It is so nice of Edwin's family to help with your move. Can't wait to hear more! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone loves a love story! Congratulations to both of you for getting through the past two years together!!! Love you both, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I am really excited as well to move out on Sunday! I did get a little sad yesterday and this morning when I addressed my students for their awards ceremony and definitely got choked up when Audrey and Destany (who I've worked really hard with to pass their assessments) thanked me for never giving up on them. Tomorrow Chelsea and I will hug and blow my 5th grader's minds! The classroom is almost packed up and we have to work on Saturday til noon! Boo! Anyways, I love you guys too! I'm not sure when we'll have internet in the apartment but we will make it to a Starbucks and keep you updated on the move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So proud of you guys! That is certainly a good story, and one hell of a couple years! I'm positive that your next step will take you to new heights of unpredictable life, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete