Friday, August 26, 2011

Crock Pot Chili

Classes started this week, and with them comes a new schedule. Unfortunately I have class until 7 or 7:30 pm Monday-Thursday. "When am I going to eat????" was my first question. This week Edwin stayed at school until I was done and then picked me up. Which means that we both arrive home at 8 pm hungry and tired. What to do?

Yesterday I had the brilliant idea of becoming best friends with our crock pot. It's a perfect solution. I will be at home studying during the day, for the most part. It will be super easy and convenient to put together a crock pot dish before I leave for class. Yesterday was the first attempt. It was perfection. Chili went into the crock pot at 12:30. We got home at 7:50, with just enough time to dish it up and turn on the tv for Expedition Impossible. The only problem is that now I need more crock pot recipes! Leave a recipe in a comment if you have a good one, please!

As I mentioned, yesterday I made Chili. I found the recipe on skinnytaste.com (great website).

Crock Pot 3 Bean Turkey Chili
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 12 Serving Size: 10.8 oz Old Points: 3 pts Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 206.3 • Fat: 1.4 g • Protein: 16.8 g • Carb: 31.8 g • Fiber: 9.0 g
  • 1.3 lb (20 oz) fat free ground turkey breast
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (4.5 oz) can chopped chilies, drained
  • 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, undrained
  • 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, undrained
  • 1 (15.5 oz) can small red beans, undrained
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
Topping:
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro for topping
  • shredded cheddar to top (extra pts)
Brown turkey and onion in a medium skillet over medium high heat until cooked through.
Drain any fat remaining and transfer to crock pot. Add the beans, chilies, chickpeas tomatoes, tomato sauce and chili powder mixing well.
Cook on high 6-8 hours.
Garnish with onions, cilantro and cheese and enjoy!


I made a few changes. I left out the turkey to make it vegetarian. I'm not sure what "small red beans" are, but I used kidney beans. They are big, but red, so I figured they would work. I added some canned jalapenos instead of chilies. Also, we skipped the onion and cilantro on top. And finally, I made cavatappi noodles (curly tubed noodles) and added them at the end.

It turned out delicious!! Happy Friday everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Yo Chel. Good for you on the crockpot!
    The only thing I have routinely made in my crockpot is a beef roast. I put in 2 cups of beef broth, a beef roast, carrots and onions and let it cook on low for about 8 hours. I know I have some crockpot cookbooks...I'll see what I can find. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete