Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The ultimate San Antonio culinary experience



My (Chelsea here) fabulous parents came to the Valley for a visit in early February. Since those of you living in the Valley know that there are a limited number of sights to see (ie one building over 10 stories, Mexico, Taco P. and South Padre Island)- we decided to head to San Antonio for our 3 day weekend!!!!!! (Thank you Texas for building in bad weather days. The frequency of snowfall and rainy days makes it very logical... but fabulous nonetheless.) We had a great time and enjoyed a typical Barnes vacation, ie lots of eating, walking, and more eating. I love my family. Keep reading for our official weigh in on San Antonio. 

If you are ever in San Antonio, here a few necessary culinary stops: 


Market Square: Full of street food, Mexican restaurants... and... 
Mi Tierra- A delicious Mexican bakery (think creme-stuffed churros, empanadas, doughnuts, campechanas, cookies, etc.) We had lunch there too (on our 2nd visit) and the food was great.
I'm a sucker for good ribs, and we found them at The County Line on the Riverwalk. Deeeeeeelish. 
Edwin signing on.... 
So if you're planning a trip to San Antonio any time soon here are some places to see, eat at, and sleep in. 

For some good eats, we recommend Ritas on the Riverwalk. We had some pretty decent Mexican food and only had to wait about 10-15 minutes on a busy Saturday night. Watch out for their potent frozen margaritas. If you're more in the mood for barbecue, we recommend The County Line (as pictured above). They make their own bread (which unfortunately had not been delivered from their other restaurant the day we were there) and have great Cherry Limeades. They have a good vegetarian option and great roast beef. Our golden discovery was in Market Square. Mi Tierra Restaurant and Bakery was delicious and has a really good lunch menu. The Pollo con Fideos was full of delicious chicken and tasty noodles in a soupy broth. It reminded me (Edwin) of my grandma's cooking (when she wasn't watching her soap operas). 

For a good night's rest we recommend the Drury Plaza Hotel located in Downtown San Antonio. What makes this hotel stand out is the free breakfast AND complimentary happy hour from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. For an hour and a half you can enjoy 3 free drinks and all you can eat appetizers ranging from chips and salsa to baked potatoes and hot dogs. Make sure to go to the top floor and get in the awesome hot tub. Even on a cold day, this is a great place to end the day. 

For sights, there is the famous Alamo. After my trip to the Alamo in 5th grade, I swore I'd never go back and have only been back 4 times since then.  In all seriousness, it's a nice piece of Texas History and a good spot to take a picture and walk around (Chel and I were able to nab a good photo). 


For shoppers, the Rivercenter Mall is a cool place to go. As opposed to regular shopping malls (at least the ones I've been to) this mall has many glass windows to see out into the city. (Chelsea: I scored a pair of hot pink pants at Gap for $6.97) To get a glimpse at some local arts and crafts make sure to check out La Villita. We found a great Latin American crafts shop with cool clothing, children's books, and coffee. Hop on over to the other little shops and see what sparks your interest in this village of art. Finally, check out the Whole Foods and boutiques at the Alamo Quarry Market. Get some good food at Whole Foods, grab a good read at Border's and maybe buy a backpack or outdoor equipment at Whole Earth Provisions. (Chelsea: Whole Foods is heaven on Earth. I could spend hours there.)

Needless to say, the weekend in San Antonio was magnificent. Ms. Barnes and Mr. Ochoa give this weekend an A++. Good food, good laughs, good sights, good rest, and best of all good people. The perfect break from teaching. 

For now, bon apetit, y buen provecho. 

3 comments:

  1. wow I think you two should be travel writers. Reading this entry makes me want to go back and do it all over again. I would bring a warmer coat and gloves and would stay awake for the hot tub, but otherwise this is definitely a do-over candidate. marycrockerbarnes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - you guys should have a show on the travel channel...I would watch! : ) Then me, Adam, and Brady can make guest appearances and do a special on priceline!!

    looks like a really fun time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Your little trip sounds super fun!!
    2. I like that all of your posts now say "Edwin and Chelsea". It makes your love official.
    3. Vienna is so annoying. However, I know she's going to win as well. How do I know, you may ask? I Googled "Bachelor Jake, spoiler ending" and found out. Why I did that, you may ask? No idea.
    4. I went to a coffee shop and had a great cup of chai and did homework, then I took NyQuil and had a full night of sleep. In other words, I am feeling better, thanks!!
    5. I love you!

    ReplyDelete