Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sorry to keep you waiting

So this may not be an entry about our cooking, but it's definitely about something that has changed our cooking. We read this article last night while fumbling through Yahoo (I swear they have the best news ticker). I (Edwin) remember the days when I had the luxury of spending 2 of my 4 hours at my previous job getting my news from the New York Times, CNN, Financial Times, you name it! But now, I have to settle for getting a glimpse of what's happening in the world while students are having a hard time pronouncing the word "fence" around me. Anyways, Chel and I found this article fascinating.

The article was about cooking oil, specifically Olive Oil (which we both use religiously), and how using it in stir-fry is bad for you. Here's why: According to this article, Olive oil has a very low "smoke point", or the temperature in which it begins to break down and change molecularly. When it changes molecularly, the nutritional value of the oil begins to degrade. The higher the "smoke point" the higher temperature the oil can withstand without having its molecular structure changed. Unfortunately for us olive oil lovers, the "smoke point" for olive oil is relatively low when compared to other oils. The article has a table that recommends what type of oils to use depending on the type of cooking you'd like to accomplish.

So the good news: olive oil can still be used for light sauteing, salads, pressure cookers, and low-heat baking. For the stir-fry lovers, bakers that use medium heat, and like to saute veggies until they are really soft, Canola oil would be a good route to take. So take a gander at the article and choose what cooking oil is best for you.

P.S. We promise to have a recipe up soon. We will also post pictures (and dining recommendations) from our San Antonio trip with Chelsea's wonderful parents. We had a great time, ate some good food and countered it with a lot of walking! For now though, bon appetit y buen provecho.

Here's the link: http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/why-olive-oil-is-bad-for-your-stir-fry-580576/

2 comments:

  1. who knew?! we always use olive oil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had NO idea. Also, off-topic you two should read In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan, it's soooo interesting, I can send it to you when I'm done.

    ReplyDelete