Saturday, February 13, 2010

Beans, Beans, the Magical Fruit

Beans, beans, the magical fruit.
The more you eat, the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you feel.
So eat your beans with every meal!!!

My brothers used to sing this catchy tune at dinner time, and it conveniently provides a slick intro to this doozy of a post. I have recently been made aware of the proposed magical effects of black beans. Not to mention I've been enjoying their great taste lately. I know, I know, some of you are scowling. BUT black beans are a staple to the heavily Mexican influenced South Texas diet, so we eat them a lot.

Here's the 411 on my black bean research:

1. Black beans have insoluble fiber, which can help prevent constipation AND can help prevent IBS and diverticulosis. (Hence the line about making you toot)

2. According to my article (and folks, this is not deep research talking- I go where Google tells me to), black beans had MORE antioxidants than an equivalent amount of oranges. The darker the bean, the more antioxidant power is packed inside.

3. Buying canned black beans does not reduce their nutritional value.


Info from http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=2


HERE is an Edwin & Chelsea approved recipe from the Jan/Feb issue of Cooking Light. Delicious!!!

Chipotle Bean Burritos
Ingredients:
1 Tbs. Canola oil (Cooking Light knows the secret too apparently...)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp chipotle chili power (I found it in the spice aisle, took me a few minutes)
1/3 tsp salt
1/3 C. Water
1 (15-ounce) can organic black beans, drained
1 (15-ounce) can organic kidney beans, drained
3 Tbs refrigerated fresh salsa (I'm addicted to Wal Mart's Black Bean and White Corn salsa)
6 (10-inch) multigrain wraps (or flour tortillas)
1 C. preshredded reduced fat 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese (or whatever queso you choose)
1 1/2 C. chopped plum tomatoes (about 3)
1 1/2 C. shredded romaine lettuce
6 Tbs thinly sliced green onions
6 Tbs light sour cream

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic to pan (and stir, baby, stir!!!! The first time we tried this step the garlic charred very quickly with the high heat); cook 1 minute stirring frequently. Stir in chile powder and salt, cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly (ok, apparently I overlooked those constant reminders to stir). Stir in 1/3 c. water and all beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in salsa. Partially mash bean mixture with a fork (should be a refried beanish mixture).

2. Warm up tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/3 c. bean mixture into center of each tortilla. Top each serving with about 2 1/2 tbs cheese, 1/4 c. tomato, 1/4 c. lettuce, 1 tbs onions, and 1 tbs sour cream; roll up.

Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional info: Cals- 361. Fat-10.3g. Protein- 16.8g. Carb-52.2g. Fiber-11.4g.... Yadda, yadda, yadda. They are good for you, take our word for it.

Ms. Barnes and Mr. Ochoa give it an A!!!

Buen Provecho!


3 comments:

  1. Hey, this sounds like a great recipe...I'm in withdrawal as I haven't had black beans since I left the Valley. Adam, this recipe sounds a step up from eating beans out of a can!!
    Keep these recipes coming! marycrockerbarnes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys,
    I think the best black beans I have ever eaten were at the Republic of the Rio Grande. However, this recipe looks like a competitor. I think Mom is going to make it this weekend. Stay tuned . . . signed Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just had the best Chipotle Bean Burritos. Mom made them for our supper tonight. They were delicious. Thanks for turning us on to them. Dad.

    ReplyDelete