Saturday, February 26, 2011

Apple Crisp

Hello fellow readers,

This is Edwin here. Chelsea has been in Colorado interviewing with Colorado State University. She was really excited and so was I that she got the chance to not only meet with the folks at CSU but also visit Colorado. She's been updating me regularly while teaching (if only my students knew!) It's been a lonely couple of days without my best friend. I haven't been cooking much BUT as a welcome back surprise for Chelsea I am venturing out into unknown territory: desserts! It's been something Chelsea and I have always talked about making. Having all this free time I've researched many recipes and finally decided on 1. It's a recipe for apple crisp. I got the recipe from foodgawker.com and the picture of the recipe led me to another cooking blog. Here is the recipe:

10 cups all-purpose apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I used about 6 Granny Smith apples)
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

2 cups quick-cooking oats
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.Place the sliced apples in a 9x13 inch pan. Mix the white sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, nutmeg, and ground cinnamon together, and sprinkle over apples.
3.Combine the oats, 2 cups flour, brown sugar, pecans, baking powder, baking soda and melted butter together. Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.
4.Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.
5. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

It's baking in the oven right now and should be ready by the time Chelsea gets in. This is a very exciting time for both of us. Our commitment to teach in the Valley is coming to a close. While Chelsea was interviewing at CSU I also interviewed with a principal from a charter school in Denver for a 5th grade math position. It would be a great opportunity to continue developing as a teacher, however, it would require me to travel 1 hour and 15 minutes each way every day. School begins at 7 and ends at 5 and I would have to teach 2 Saturdays a month from August to July. I'm not sure if it will be the right move, so stay tuned! Here is a picture of the Apple Crisp from the blog where I got the recipe from.



I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. Chelsea's plane just landed!!

2 comments:

  1. Yum, this looks delicious Edwin! My recipe makes just an 8 inch square baking dish so it will be good to have a bigger recipe!
    That school position sounds like something they might have in China! I don't suppose they let the kids have phy ed or recess either. Yipes! Love Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. awe - that's sweet! We LOVE apple crisp!!

    ReplyDelete