Sunday, October 30, 2011

Homemade Halloween

Happy Halloween!!! Personally, Halloween is not my favorite holiday. Edwin has the same sentiment. Not that I dislike it- I just haven't gotten super into costumes as an adult. Maybe the magic died when I stopped trick-or-treating. This year was different! A few weeks ago Ted and Leigh suggested that we make costumes and dress up as the Flintstones. A craft project, you say? We were in.

This past Wednesday the four of us made a trip to JoAnn fabrics, which, along with Michael's is Edwin's favorite place on earth. Anybody buying it? nope. He claims both stores smell weird. I, on the other hand, rank them up there with Target. Which is saying a lot. Michael's still comes in a distant second to Target, but anyways. Beside the point. Back to JoAnn. We picked up brown felt for Edwin and blue stretchy cotton for me. The real trick would prove to be making them, since we don't have a sewing machine. Cue the iron on hem tape and super fabric glue.

Making both costumes turned out to be a fairly simple process. I was able to use iron-on hem tape for my dress, and the super glue for Edwin's costume. I was pretty impressed with myself- usually I get pretty frustrated if things don't go well with a craft. Well, with anything. (I may or may not have thrown a ball of yarn at the wall when a question on my take home exam was proving difficult last week.) Back to the story. The costumes turned out great!!! We were Barney and Betty Rubble, if you can't tell. Ted and Leigh were Fred and Wilma. Leigh also did an amazing job with their costumes (also sans sewing machine). We went to our friend (who we meet through Ted and Leigh) Alan's house for his Halloween party on Friday night. The costumes were a hit!



What is everyone else being for Halloween? Mom, how did your Pumpkin Caroling costume turn out? Happy Halloween!!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow...awesome job Chel! You look way better than I remember Betty Rubble looking!!! And Edwin makes a great caveman. Love you guys, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE!! The costumes turned out great!! Nice work. Although I do love both Michael's and JoAnn, I'd have to agree with Edwin, they do smell kind of funny.
    Brady is going to be a monkey and Adam is possibly going to be Batman but most likely going to go as "a 29 year old dad". I have no costume...but after watching the office last week I wish I could be a kangaroo like Pam.
    Happy Halloween!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another informative blog… Thank you for sharing it… Best of luck for further endeavor too.

    ReplyDelete