Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Curtains

Edwin mentioned in his last post that I have finished the curtains! They have actually been up for a little over a week, but I'm just getting around to posting now. We started with fabric that was about 90 inches long and 3-4 feet wide (I can't remember the width). To figure out those measurements, we just measured the height and width we wanted them to be. The width of the curtains is more than the width of the window.

I used iron on hem tape to make the hems. This was the hardest part (should be easy) and if I had a sewing machine I would definitely have gone that route. It was easy enough to measure the hem (I did 1" on top and 2" on the other 3 sides). My problem was that the hem tape didn't stick super well in some parts. I'm not sure why.... but it stuck in enough spots to make the curtains work.


Here is the hem.

To hang the curtains, it was really simple. Edwin installed the curtain rod at the height we wanted. Instead of using curtain rings we used curtain rings with clips. This meant I didn't have to sew/cut holes at the top to allow for curtain rings. All I did was clip the clips to the top of the curtain, and then the ring went on the rod.



We really like how they turned out! We like them even better because they are homemade! Also, if you are interested in making curtains of your own there is a much better tutorial here.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful job Chel! i'm very proud of your home decorating skills. This is the stuff that made you want to be in interior design. Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Impressive, they look great!! Can't wait to see you in LESS THAN A WEEK!!!

    ReplyDelete